Monday, June 2, 2008

Pre-trip Planning

Here are some updates, the count down for the trip has begun, FIVE days until take off (so excited). I am also attaching pictures and quotes from the people that have sent them to me, I will be updating this frequently so continue sending your photos along.


Rachel Reed:

"I see this trip as a window into Jewish life in another area and culture. I hope to understand more about where my relatives came from and in the process learn more about the Jewish traditions. The hands-on approach of the trip will hopefully enable us to make a difference in others' lives."

Jeffery Roshko
Cornell '11



Dina Diskin:

"I want to go there because I am from the Ukraine and I am very excited about doing service in my home country."







Tal Akabas:
"I am excited to see a new place and get a chance to help out!"






Joelle Milton:


" Hi there! So...I'm excited to see a new country and culture, help the Jewish community, and interact with Ukrainian teens."





As the first week of June begins I am thoroughly excited for two very important things. Firstly, I am just starting my internship with JDC Short-term programs, which I am sure will be a great way to learn more about what the JDC is and how to strengthen its connection on the Cornell campus. Secondly, a momentous trip to Dnepro, is a mere two weeks from starting. For me this trip signifies a great deal. This will be the first time I return to Ukraine since my family immigrated to the United States when I was four. I am not sure what to expect, but I am sure that all the experiences I will gain this summer will be character building and exceptionally unique.
As Paulo Coelho wrote in the Alchemist: "There is only one way to learn... It's through action. Everything you need to know you have learned through your journey."


2 comments:

Yulia said...

Hi Sasha!I'm exited of your vision of this process!I like Paulo Coelho too. My name- Yulia, and I also participate in Alternative Summer Break. Hope see you soon here in Dnepro!

Olga said...

Hi cornell!
We are so miss you!!!!
Hillel Dnepro :-(